Monday, June 27, 2011

Lykke Li

Yes I am supposed to be working, 
but there is just so much interesting music out there waiting to be heard!

I abandoned my print project to trawl through the black cab session only to stumble 
upon an artist I have been putting off for a while now, Lykke Li.

I have been slapping myself ever since, Why would someone overlook this woman?
she is fabulous quirky and full of energy. Though I prefer her acoustic session(love the use of the megaphone) her album is still fabulous. When you're down, pissed, ecstatic or annoyed you will find a song that suits the mood.

Li Lykke or Timotej Zachrisson was born in Ystad after which she shifted base to almost every exciting place in the world some being Portugal, morocco and Nepal. Her first album youth novels released in Europe in 2008. Her second album 'wounded rhymes' was released this year.

Li has become increasingly popular with indie music fans and took her particular flavor of music more mainstream with an appearance on Last Call with Carson Daly on 18 February 2009. She has received a great deal of notoriety for her cover of "Knocked Up", originally recorded by Kings of Leon who had approached Li to cover a song of her choice, and "Gifted" in which she performs with Kanye West. Going further mainstream, Li performed at the 2009 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on 19 April, as well as the 2009 Lollapalooza festival on 8 August as part of the promotional tour for Youth Novels. Despite her shift her music still screams individuality and sparkle. Both her albums went way beyond all expectations with her interesting use of different instruments and of course, her husky, high pitched, sultry voice.

There are some musicians who are just better live than they are when recorded, so I am putting up the black cab sessions song, I'm good I'm gone(one of my favourites) and a live performance of knocked up(the Kings of Leon cover) at New York. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment