Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Radiohead

Radiohead and I have had a bumpy affair. When My schoolmates first started listening to it I didn't much care for it.
I just couldn't seem to figure out what the whole hoopla was all about. But that was in school.

Rishabh, a school friend was an obsessive radiohead fan and he just refused to believe that I didn't connect with the band. This is when he gave me the live Avenches album and I found love. Their music is fantastic, they have the perfect mix of electronic sound with real instruments. and Thom Yorke of course is fantastic with his vocals. They are such a well formed band.
What amazes me is every album has its individual sound and they always seem to outdo themselves every time.

Both Amnesiac and Radiohead's album Kid A, which was released eight months earlier in 2000, were recorded in the same period. Most songs on Amnesiac were recorded during the same recording sessions that produced Kid A. A lot of people refer to Amnesiac as the B sides to Kid A but I personally like Amnesiac better. Maybe I have a more conventional ear but I could relate to songs in this album much more.

While explaining the decision to release two albums rather than one, singer Thom Yorke said, "They are separate because they cannot run in a straight line with each other. They cancel each other out as overall finished things... In some weird way, I think Amnesiac gives another take on Kid A, a form of explanation." He continued: "Something traumatic is happening in Kid A, and this is looking back at it, trying to piece together what has happened." About the differences with the previous record he says: "I think the artwork is the best way of explaining it. The artwork to Kid A was all in the distance. The fires were all going on the other side of the hill. With Amnesiac, you're actually in the forest while the fire's happening." If you listen to both albums back to back you can see what he is talking about.

I might be wrong was first released as a radio single before the album. This is one of my most favourite songs. Its got a great rhythm and every time I listen to it I get into this really heady sort of trance.

While searching for videos I came across an acoustic version of this song. I didn't really want to listen to it because I thought the ambient effect would be lost but hey, its not bad at all! The full blown version is a live version. Personally any musician or band whose performances are better than their albums are true musicians. Anyway I'm putting both versions in, tell me what you think!





1 comment:

  1. hey havent read yet,
    but soon will... love your blog!
    sargam

    ReplyDelete